Saturday, April 5, 2008

"Happy"

I am in a slight state of shock. As you know, Sam has a speech imparement. Earlier this year he was assessed at having a 30% intelligibility (being able to be understood). He has started speech therapy (which was a long, complicated ordeal) and now can actually move his tongue (was not able to move tongue at all before.. not up.. not down.. not to either side) and is trying to say bigger words and communicate more. Tonight as I was tucking him into bed, he said something. He said he was happy. I actually guess and I guessed right! After almost 4 years, Sam has been able to tell me he is happy. He has made those sounds before, but I never would have guessed those sounds= "happy." When I guessed right his whole face lit up and he hugged me. I finally understood his basic happy emotion!

No comments: